Every year, on 8 September, International Literacy Day is observed and celebrated around the world. It is a day to remind the international community about the importance of literacy not just for individuals but for societies and communities too. It is a day that highlights the need for efforts and measures towards creating more literate societies. The theme this year is ‘Literacy for a human-centred recovery, Narrowing the digital divide’.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) instituted the International Literacy Day on 8 September in the year 1966. However, the day was celebrated for the first time in 1967 across the world.
On the occasion of International Literacy Day 2021, here are a few inspiring quotes and messages:
- Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil — CS Lewis (British writer)
- Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire — W B Yeats (Irish poet and writer)
- Education is the most powerful weapon for changing the world — Nelson Mandela (former President of the South African Republic)
- The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education — Martin Luther King Jr (American minister)
- Upon the subject of education… I can only say that I view it as the most important subject which we as a people may be engaged in — Abraham Lincoln (16th US President)
- It is time to bring positive change to the world. Make sure you educate everyone in your family. Happy International Literacy Day 2021!
- Education is the door that opens, discovers, revives, invents, a whole new world for you. Wishing you Happy International Literacy Day.
- The foundation of every society is its education and so a key to a better society begins with literacy. Happy International Literacy Day!
- Complete literacy is the dream of our country and we can achieve it with our continuous hard work. Happy International Literacy Day.